The Blessings of Godliness and Contentment

   But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.  -1 Timothy 6:6-8  


That sounds good doesn't it?  Just be godly and content and you will have "great gain."   As with most Biblical concepts, this is simple.  Yet, not easy.  

I used to fear that godliness was out of my reach.  I didn't understand what it meant.  Then I researched it a bit.  Webster's 1828 dictionary defines godliness as ...belief in God, and reverence for his character and laws.  Well, even I can do that.  I do have belief and reverence for God.  It doesn't always show in my actions but improvement in this area is part of the Christian walk.

What about contentment?  Sometimes I struggle.  I don't (often)want more or nicer things for myself but sometimes I do worry about what tomorrow will bring.  Will we be able to provide for our children in this economy?  During those times I think of this verse:

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.  -Hebrews 13:5

What more could I want besides a relationship with my Savior and the promise of eternity with Him?

If my Lord promised that He will never leave me or forsake me, how can I worry about things?  Do I really have a deficit of "stuff" in my life or do I have exactly what the Almighty Provider has given for today?

More and more I am learning to be content with such things as I have.  Therefore, I am learning to experience the "great gain" of peace and joy.


Lord Jesus, forgive my covetousness and lead me into a life of contentment and greater gain than this world has to offer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lorie,

I think I have more of a problem with worry than I do with being content, although sometimes, I can get into "trouble" on the latter also.

This is another great lesson you have set before us today. I think what it all comes down to is being content in the Lord. Learning to be content with just Him in our lives is a difficult lesson that all of us will continue to learn throughout this life.

-L. Rose

Debbie said...

What an exciting adventure - a devotional blog. I am looking forward to reading these.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh I missed this and I always need to be reminded. I too am not worried about diamonds, nice cars, etc. but I have to say I do become discontent over not being able to pay bills or have dental care for my children...this is where I fall short and my faith grows weak. Yet I need to just stop and pray for more faith and contentment, because I can't have any of that without his power.
Thanks