Wait on the Lord

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. Psalms 27:14

It seems I am always waiting. Waiting for answers, for healing, for Spring, for tomorrow. Waiting for some time other than today, right now. 

What then? When I get "there" (where ever that may be) is that when I start living? Is that when I decide it is okay to relax now? Or is that when I find something else for which to wait?

To be sure, it is good to plan for the future. Where there is no vision, the people perish pr. 29:18. 

However, I need to ask, for what future am I planning? What is the ultimate goal of this plan?  If it is not eternity then I am bound for disappointment, bound to step from trial to trial waiting for an earthly rest that will never be attained. With eternity in sight I can celebrate every victory in Jesus, even those disguised as failures.

As Matthew Henry said, "this earth is the land of the dying." One way or another, some sooner, some later, our earthly bodies will reach the end of their appointed days. Then all our waiting will be over. How will I have spent those days? To profit eternity or clinging to a never-to-be-realized hope?

Lord, teach me to wait patiently and in that waiting to rejoice and be fruitful.

2 comments:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh my did you step inside my brain this week? Such a good word in due season and one I need to tape up on my mirror to read and remind myself daily...too much of looking for something different and not enough of living in the today!
Great Lorie!!!

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

I have a very hard time waiting to find out what the next step of the plan might be. I want it all mapped out for me ahead of time. God is teaching me though, to sit back and wait for His time.