The Stealth of Envy

  A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones. Proverbs 14:30

Envy has a way of creeping up on me.  I'm not really a "stuff" kind of person so I don't envy cars, clothes, jewelry, etc.  My temptations are sneaky and less obvious.  I envy things that are good and worthy.

The last few days I have found myself discouraged about my garden.  My purpose in gardening is to provide lots of food for my family.  Sounds worthy right?  Well, I have been seeing gardens that are much nicer and more productive than mine and it really started to stress me out.  I started feeling sluggish and not wanting to even look at my yard.  

This morning I realized I had fallen into envy.  I need to reclaim my "sound heart" to bring back the life to my flesh.  I need to do my best with what the Lord has provided and then find contentment in that.  Honestly, this is easier said than done.  

Today I will push though this dark cloud of envy to find the "great gain" of contentment.  I will walk in victory through the strength of the Lord.

2 comments:

Doc Simonson said...

You and your hubby have good hearts. You are a blessing to the people around you. What I'm finding out in my garden is that pumping money into it is a quick way to grow a garden, but it may or may not produce much. Knowledge is the slow way that will eventually produce good yields, but each year's produce is a gift from God. I think we are both on the slow road to knowledge both about gardening and about ourselves! It's a grand journey!

Lorie said...

Thanks Doc, you are very kind. Yes, the road is slow but grand. :)