Life - Not for the Faint of Heart

 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.  Proverbs 16:31 


Last week I had a very special visit with my Great Aunt in South Carolina.  She is an amazing woman.  At 89 she still lives independently, drives and has a sharp mind.  I spent 8 days soaking in all the wisdom I could.

Uncle Ned died 24 years ago and she still misses him.  She speaks fondly of him often.  A friend of hers was widowed a few years ago and Aunt Mary said she is dwelling in grief too much.  She said, "You've got to pick up the pieces and move on.  I know what I'm talking about."  She is very strong.

She has seen her share of troubles and heartache in her long life.  Yet, she is happy and feels blessed each day. She has found the answer to living an abundant life.

... I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  John 10:10  


An abundant life is not one that is free of difficulty.  It is a life lived with deep joy in the midst of grief and pain.  It is being thankful and making the most of the good times and resting in the shelter of the Lord when times get tough.

An abundant life is one in which we can look up from from the valley and see the mountain top.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.  John 16:33 
I am thankful that Aunt Mary knows this and has passed it on through her example.  She is a great woman and a great blessing to all who know her.


Youth is wasted on the young - George Bernard Shaw


1 comment:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh she sounds like my mother-in-law who is 96, except my mother-in-law doesn't share a lot of verbal wisdom...she just feels it is all life.

Oh to learn to just let God and let God and all the stress fall off. They have had the years to see His faithfulness and they rest in it...what a treasure time of life.

So glad you had a nice visit and gleaned from this wonderful woman...what a treasure.